Monday 1 August 2011

Personal Branding - ouch! Things 2 and 3

Pic from peoplequiz.com
Oh dearie me! After all my good intentions I've fallen woefully behind. I'm might take a bit of a short cut and start rolling multiple things into a single blog post.

Helpfully, by doing Thing 2 - looking at other people's blogs and leaving posts, I was also finding out about Thing 3 - personal branding.  It was interesting to see the different approaches that people take and their opinions on their own brands.  Two lovely people left me comments below and I had a wee nosey at their profiles and a few others.  I used the Delicious page of cpd23things participants to browse by category.  It was comforting to read that lots of other people preferred to be lurkers than authors.

Personal branding sounds painful.  It seems that this branding malarky is rather time consuming, but I can see that when you put the effort in it can be very effective.  There are some people's blogs/online presences that I particularly like e.g. Joeyanne Libraryanne (her 23things blog is separate).

My own branding's not particularly strong.  I've jazzed up this blog to make it look a bit more modern and added a picture that matches the one on my twitter and linked in accounts.  If I search for my name on Google I don't really appear unless you add 'SSL' or library or Oxford, instead you get some wifey off the Brady Bunch (see picture).  But on the upside, if you do find me, there's nothing up there that I wouldn't want people to see.

Alicessl is probably not the wisest name choice.  I adopted it when I was working as a trainee at the Social Science Library. Conveniently, I'm working there again now so it still fits.  Perhaps I shall have to pretend it's an abbreviation for something else e.g. supersleuth librarian or I could use it to tailor my career path and try to become a Social Sciences subject consultant!  On the other hand, one of my fellow librarians in training goes by the moniker of Theatregrad and I think it works well because it share a memorable fact about her.

As I look at other people's blog for the subsequent 'Things', I'll be particularly aware of their branding. Hopefully it will give me some inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment