Thursday 1 April 2010

Clouds and slow documents

Quite a few other 23 things bloggers have complained about the slowness of ThinkFree Office, especially in comparison to Google Docs.  Another point that I found to add was that I found Google Docs easier to navigate around.  I liked the templates that were available and would consider using them for future projects - eg planners and photo albums.  I tried uploading a few different types of document and found that my Powerpoints even when converted were good but that a Word doc with pictures, arrows and text boxes lost the arrows and text boxes.  When I kept the Word document in its original format it was displayed correctly but I found the text more difficult to read.

I think Google Docs is a good idea, especially for people who have to move about and still access documents but they would need to be confident that they had access to the internet. I know that it is possible to work offline with some sites, but you would need to connect to save changes eventually.  Also more complicated formats don't seem to work when uploaded so I'm not sure what would happen in the other direction if you wanted to save a document created in Google Docs back to Microsoft Office.  Perhaps it would be useful as an emergency back up storage site.  Also I do worry about these things just floating about in the ether, so won't put up those top secret bank heist plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment